03 Jul 2020
what do i need to scrap my car?

What documents do I need to scrap my car?

Whether your vehicle has been written off in an accident, failed its MOT, or simply reached the end of its lifespan, if you are looking to scrap it there are specific documents you will need to present.

To help ensure you have all the right documents, we’ve compiled a handy list of the required paperwork in order to save you time and help you successfully go about scrapping your car. Scrapping a car can be an intimidating process for first-timers, with forms, documents, and location being large factors on what you need to scrap your car.

Here at Colson’s, our specialists can offer advice on car scrapping and would be happy to help. Our car scrapping services are first time friendly, fast, and efficient. Not only will we make your process as easy as possible to remove your unwanted vehicle, but you will also receive cash in the process! So be sure to contact our experts for further inquiries.

Documents needed to scrap your car

Only certain centers are legally allowed to scrap cars – Authorised Treatment Facilities (ATFs). This is because hazardous parts such as batteries and oil need to be safely and responsibly removed.

In order to scrap your car, you will need to present the following documents:

Vehicle registration document (V5C)

The vehicle registration document also referred to as a V5C. This is the vehicle logbook and is the most important document required to scrap your car.

The V5C confirms the registered keeper who is responsible for the vehicle. It also prevents an unauthorised sale of your vehicle.


The V5C/3 is the yellow slip from your vehicle registration document, and you must present this when looking to scrap your car. Also, ensure you keep your receipt from the Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF), you’ll need each of these documents to scrap your car.

Personal identification

It is a legal requirement to provide a form of ID, such as a driving license or passport when scrapping a car, whether you have the V5C document or not.

I don’t have a V5C – can I still scrap my car?

Having trouble locating your V5C logbook? If this is the case, you are still able to scrap your car, but you’ll need to follow some additional steps first.

You can replace the V5C document by contacting the DVLA and paying a fee of £25, although you can avoid this cost by simply writing to the DVLA to inform them that you have sold your car to a registered ATF as scrap.

In order to notify the DVLA, you will need to provide them with details which they’ll update to show that you are no longer the registered vehicle keeper.

You’ll need to provide the following:

  • Your personal information
  • Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) details
  • Car make, model and registration number
  • Date of the sale


We hope this article proved it’s purpose in providing insight into car scrapping and what is required in order to fulfill the process. Contact Colson’s for further details.